8th Grade Pythagorean Theorem

A photo of one of the eighth grader's Pythagorean theorem projects from mid-October, 2017

Katherine E. Kirby

Kate Kirby, Reporter/Photographer

The eighth graders in Algebra 1 have recently completed a project on the Pythagorean theorem. For those of you who aren’t in this class, that is the equation A²+B²=C². The students had a “gallery walk” this Wednesday when they presented their final products, consisting of informative PowerPoints and an artfully and mathematically designed model structure. They were given a scenario that they were on a cruise, but the boat got shipwrecked on an island with heavy rain, flooding, and tigers. The 8th graders were instructed to design a structure that could theoretically withstand all of these, and then build a model based on their blueprints. “I enjoyed the

Katherine E. Kirby
A photo of one of the eighth grader’s Pythagorean theorem projects from mid-October, 2017 

project, but felt I wasn’t able to ‘expose’ my creativity because of the limited amount of time,” mentioned Julian Hoskins, a student in Mrs. Hubener’s sixth hour class. He had wanted to add some extra features to his building, but didn’t have enough time to add them. Many of the others in his class agree with him. However, overall, it was a very exciting and fast-paced project that helped give the idea that math could bridge with both art and engineering.

8th Grade Pythagorean Theorem